Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bridal Wreath Spirea

Bridal Wreath Spirea has got to be one of my favorite spring blooming plants.  I have had this particular spirea for about 7 years now and every spring it gives me a wonderful explosion of blooms.  Maybe I love it so much because it happens to be one of the first things to really show off its flowers.  These plants will grow pretty big if you let them.  The one pictured above is probably 9 feet wide and it is as tall as my fence.  It is supposed to be pruned every year after it finishes flowering in the spring yet, I have never pruned this one.  I like the way it has that natural look to it.  If you prune it in the fall it will not bloom the next spring.  It only blooms on old wood.  The bridal wreath spirea grows at a moderate rate.  It performs best in full sunlight with a moist, fertile, well-drained soil, but it is tolerant of a wide range of conditions.  You can propagate by taking cuttings and dividing.  I have not done this yet, but I think I will do it soon to this very plant.  I would love to have about 3 more of these on my property.

No comments:

Post a Comment