Monday, April 23, 2012

Last of the Cool Weather

This morning I had the windows open and was enjoying the last of the cool weather that we will get until late September or October.  And when I mean cool weather, I mean 68* mornings.  Our high temperature for the day is 78.  I know that is not cool for some of you but it is perfect for me.  It may sound silly but I like to open the windows up in the morning and let the house get pretty cool so the air conditioner doesn't have to come on all day.  I hate having to pay for electricity. It's also good for the environment to not have the a/c going all day.  Too bad that is exactly what happens in the summer here.  I hope this year's summer is not as hot as last year's summer.  I just wish that we get some rain this summer.  I am not sure how Texas will do with 2 summers back to back with no rain, even no clouds. A nice cloud cover will do from time to time.  And the plants would be pretty appreciative also.
Enough of the ranting about nice weather or really lack of nice weather.  Today I am going to feed the tomatoes and peppers.  If you didn't know it- they are both heavy feeders.  They can get fertilizer burn if you put too much fertilizer on them but you are more likely to under-feed them than over-feed them.  Also, tomatoes are foliar feeders meaning they can take in nutrients from liquid fertilizers through their leaves.
This past weekend I have a show that I had a booth at for the whole weekend.  So last week I wasn't able to do any gardening since I was trying to get ready for the show.  With that being said, I am about to spend a few needed hours in my backyard. I am sure my kids and husband will have to drag me into the house so I can feed them for dinner.  See you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment